Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Golden Compass

I went to see the movie the Golden Compass tonight with some women from my branch. It was really fun to go with them. I liked the movie and I actually liked the message that it portrayed. I like that it was about fighting to have free will - the freedom to choose. I had read some things that said that I shouldn't go see it because it was anti-religion. To me it appears to be anti-religion only if you believe that means that you shouldn't question and you should be controlled and manipulated and shouldn't think on your own. However, I don't feel like religion is that way and my religion encourages free will and making your own choices. It does encourage making good choices for greater happiness in this life and later, but you are free to make the choices as you choose.
Anyway, it is a great adventure type of movie. Warning: it does set up for a sequel, so don't watch it if that will upset you (as it did some of my family members when we saw a certain movie before...) . I didn't believe that the movie was over when it ended. I was ready to settle in for another half hour because it was gearing up for another part of the climax, but I guess they are saving that for the next movie.
Anyway, don't be afraid to see it. I'll read the book too and let you know what I think. Someone I trust read them and thought they were good, so I will probably like them too.

No comments: